Monday, March 21, 2011

I have ascended the Dark Tower...

Alas, my journey to the Dark Tower with Roland and his ka-tet has come to an end. It has been a long and trying journey, but that is the way I would have it. Those are the best kind, in my opinion.

First, I must apologize for my lack of entries over the past few weeks. Or has it been a month? That is neither here nor there. The reasoning behind my scarce blog posting can be placed upon my schoolwork. I had a very large amount of homework and studying for mid-term exams, so my blogging got left by the wayside. However, despite my school workload, I never ceased reading Stephen King's masterpiece epic story, The Dark Tower. I know it is actually seven books, but it is really one large book split seven ways, much like The Lord of the Rings is split across three books. Well, today, I finished the seventh and final installment of the saga. Wow. This series is one of the greatest book series I have ever read, and I have read a huge amount of them.

First off, this story is an ever-changing, constantly evolving...colossus? Is that the best word to describe it? I know not. I will not divulge any details to the plot; I have no wish to spoil this adventure for anyone else. That stated, I am going to put up a disclaimer anyways.

!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

The Dark Tower cannot possibly be categorized into one specific genre. It is part western, science-fiction, horror, romance, fantasy, etc. I know that sounds insane, but it is true nonetheless. I encourage everybody who reads to give this series a shot. Anyways, the books are amazing.

The main character, Roland of Gilead, of the line of Eld, the last gunslinger, is one of the greatest flawed heroes ever written. He is completely absorbed with his quest to find the Dark Tower and see what is at the top, even if he has to leave behind (or sacrifice in the case of Jake) his friends along the way. Even with this major flaw, you cannot help but fall in love with Roland. His incredible eyesight, his faster-than-light reflexes with a six-shooter, his lack of humor, the depth of his ability to feel (and how deep he hides those feelings, even from those closest to him)...all traits that barely scratch the surface of how awesome he is. He has given up everything for his quest and my heart aches for him (I am even tearing up right now just thinking about what he lost along the way). My heart aches for him even now, for his journey is not over.

Another main character, Eddie Dean, is a heroin junkie at the beginning of the story, but he evolves into something that is so much more. He becomes a gunslinger (probably the best of Roland's trainees). His love for Susannah is so deep and so pure; it is the way a man should love a woman in every aspect. He also draws out a side of Roland that is rarely seen with his smart-ass attitude: he makes Roland smile. I think he completely becomes a part of Roland's world, unlike the others (except maybe Oy who was already a part of his world), and his residency becomes complete with his death in the final novel. I cried when he spoke his final words to Roland: "Thank you for my second chance. Thank you...Father." Very powerful words for a very powerful part of the story.

Susannah...where in the hell do I start with her? This is one of the most intricate character concepts and evolutions I have ever seen. She enters the story as Odetta, a pacifistic civil-rights activist from the '60s, an African-American, an amputee (she is missing her legs from the knee down), and a slight schizo. I know, a lot, right? It gets more intricate. She eventually overcomes her other personality, Detta, and becomes a totally new woman, Susannah. She has one of the strongest wills of any of the characters in the series. She gained my utmost respect and love when she sacrificed part of herself to save Jake (she humped/restrained a demon while Eddie made a key for the door...too much info, I promised not to spoil it). She ends up, through a very unique way, of carrying Roland's child without ever fornicating with him. This scenario also forces her to be the carrier of the demon-mother Mia. After all of this, she remains sane and still manages to become a gunslinger. Damn...that woman is a beast!

Jake. The boy who fell. I have to say Jake is probably my favorite character. He dies twice (not ruining it for you!!!). He has the most impact on Roland out of all the cast of characters. I believe he reopens a closed door (hahaha) in Roland's heart, allowing this cold man to love once again, an ability he thought he lost in his travels. This boy is only ten years old, yet he becomes a gunslinger through and through, ultimately sacrificing himself to save Stephen King (the universe). Roland does not even get to be with Jake as Jake fades away, having to deal with some petty bullshit. That scene literally broke my heart. As Roland buries Jake, he gives one of the sweetest speeches, while Oy howls out his sorrow as only a billy-bumbler can. "He knelt a moment longer with his hands clasped between his knees, thinking he had not understood the true power of sorrow, nor the pain of regret, until this moment. I cannot bear to let him go. But once again, that cruel paradox: if he didn't, the sacrifice was in vain." Just rereading this part steals my breath and hurts my heart. This character impacted Roland, but he also impacted me as well.

Oy, the billy-bumbler (a sort of raccoon-dog hybrid) is one of the most fun characters. Bumblers can be trained to talk, at least before the world moved on, and Oy has some of the most sweet and most comical lines in the book series. He is Jake's best friend, for it was Jake who took him in and nursed his wounded leg. Oy himself can even be catagorized as a gunslinger, even though he never wields a gun. But he proves his bravery time after time. He also gains the respect of Roland, and that is saying a lot.

There are other characters whom I love (Callahan, Cuthbert, Alain, Susan, Sheemie, Patrick), but I will not say much about them. If you would like to know of them, read the books! But there is one who I cannot forget to talk about.

Walter o' Dim/Randall Flagg/Marten Broadcloak/whatever else he has called himself throughout time. Walter, the Man In Black, is one of the most vile villains ever created. This is a guy who you want to die so much through every book. All of the shit he put Roland through...he makes my skin crawl and my stomach turn. But isn't that what a superb villain should be like? I think so. Ka finally catches up with him in the end.

Now, for the finale. The ending of the series, while not entirely happy or satisfying, is fitting. I wouldn't have had it any other way (I cannot change ka, though ka can change me). I will only say this about the ending. It ends where is begins: Ka...

As always after the end of a long book series, I end up feeling lost. What do I read next? Should I take a break? Will anything be able to satisfy me again? O' Discordia! Where shall I go after trekking along the Path of the Beam with the last of the Line of Eld and his band of gunslingers? But, then I remember Jake, who once said, "There are other worlds than these." I find comfort in those words. I see you, Jake. See you very well and say thankee-sai! Thus, I will continue on my epic journey to the next world, and the ones thereafter.

For all of you who read this, long days and pleasant nights...

2 comments: